When the members of the USS Euphrates were nearly complete with the chapter-in-training period, we were asked which name we would like to take as a full chapter. The crew voted for the USS Ticonderoga because of the proud history that the name held. We figured that new recruits would hear the name before they saw the class. We have been contacted by many people who have been connected to the USS Ticonderoga that participated in the United States Navy.
Presented here is a real and fictitious history of the vessels named Ticonderoga. As we research more information, we will present it here.
The ships named USS Ticonderoga commemorate the capture of Fort Ticonderoga on May 10, 1775 by Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.
| USS TICONDEROGA (1814-1825)
The first USS Ticonderoga was a 17-gun schooner in the United States Navy. It was part of Commodore MacDonough’s flotilla in the victorious Battle of Lake Champlain on September 11, 1814.
The USS Ticonderogawas commanded by Lt. Stephen Cassin. She was originally built as a steamer in Vergennes, Vermont. She served from 1814 to July 19, 1825.Ship Statistics: Type: Schooner Displacement: 365 Tonnes Length: 37 Meters
Armament: 8x 12-pounder guns 4x 18-pounder guns 3x 32-pounder carronades
The Ticonderoga was a clipper ship built by Perrine, Patterson and Stock in 1849. She was four masted and double deckard and was under the command of Thomas H Boyle. Unfortunately, it was involved in the “fever ship” voyage in 1852 from Liverpool to Port Phillip. The Ticonderoga also transported passengers and cargo to New York, Liverpool, Burma and Germany. In 1872 it was wrecked near the coast of India.Ship Statistics: Type: Clipper Displacement: 1,089 Tonnes Length: 51 Meters Width: 11 Meters Draft: 5 Meters Crew: 48
USS TICONDEROGA (1863-1887)
USS Ticonderoga, a 2526-ton Lackawanna class sloop of war built at the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, New York, was commissioned on May 12, 1863 with Commodore J. L. Lardner in command. From June into September, she operated in the West Indies as the flagship of the West Indies squadron. Her duties included guarding against Confederate raiders, and she also performed the same role in the northwestern Atlantic during October 1863 to July 1864. She was then directed to search for the Confederate cruiser CSS Florida, work that continued until October. Assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron in the next month, USS Ticonderoga participated in the December 1864 and January 1865 attacks on Fort Fisher, North Carolina. Her Civil War service ended with a brief tour with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron in January-March 1865, after which she was placed out of commission.
The USS Ticonderoga went back into active service in 1866, after modifications to her rig, and was sent to European waters. She operated there, in the Mediterranean and off Africa until 1869, when she returned home for a refit. In 1871-73, the ship served along South America’s Atlantic coast, then spent much of 1874 with the the North Atlantic Squadron. Out of commission from October 1874 until November 1878, Ticonderoga’s next mission was an eastbound cruise around the world that lasted until she arrived at New York in August 1882. Commodore Robert W. Shufeldt commanding. Decommissioned a month later, USS Ticonderoga had no further active service and was sold in August 1887.
Ship Statistics: Type: Lackwanna class Sloop-of-War Displacement: 2,567 Tonnes Length: 72 Meters Beam: 11.63 Meters Draft: 5.33 Meters Speed: 11 Knots Armament: 1x 150-pounder Parrot rifle 1x 50-pounder Dahlgren rifle 6x 9 inch Dahlgren smoothbores 2x 24-pounder howitzers 2x 12-pounder rifles 2x heavy 12-pounder smoothbores
Commissioned by the Champlain Transportation Company, the Ticonderoga was built in 1906 at the Shelburne Shipyard in Shelburne, Vermont on Lake Champlain. A steamer used to transport passengers, troops and cargo along various routes on Lake Champlain. After she was retired in 1950 the Ticonderoga was moved to the Shelburne Museum where she still serves as a permanent exhibit. In 1964 the Ticonderoga was declared a National Historic Landmark.Ship Statistics: Type: Steamboat Displacement: 892 Tonnes Length: 67 Meters Beam: 18 Meters Maximum Speed: 17 MPH Crew: 28
USS TICONDEROGA (1917-1918)
A former German cargo ship named Camilla Rickmers, was transformed into the third USS Ticonderoga. This vessel served the U.S. Naval Overseas Transportation Service during World War I in 1917 and 1918.
The ship was put into service to carry animals, troops, and supplies to Europe in World War I. On September 22nd, 1918, during her third crossing to Europe, the USS Ticonderoga developed engine troubles and fell behind her convoy. A German submarine, U-152, soon found her and prepared to attack. The USS Ticonderoga reacted quickly and attempted to ram the surfaced submarine. Nearly missing the sub, a two hour running gun battle resulted that eventually knocked out both of the USS Ticonderoga’s deck guns, killed or wounded almost all of the crew and passengers and left the ship taking on water. The commanding officer, nearly faint from the loss of blood and his ship’s decks nearly awash, ordered the ship abandoned. She subsequently sank.
Of the 237 sailors and soldiers embarked only 24 survived. Two officers were taken prisoner and held onboard U-152 for the remaining two months of the war. The other 22 survivors spent four days in one lifeboat until a passing ship picked them up. The commanding officer, LCDR James J. Madison, was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his gallantry.
Ship Statistics: Type: Steamship Displacement: 5,212 Tonnes Length: 122.25 Meters Beam: 16.21 Meters Draft: 7.77 Meters Speed: 11 Knots Crew: 237
Armament: 1x 6-inch gun
1x 3-inch gun
USS TICONDEROGA CV-14, CVA-14 & CVS-14 (1944-1974)
The USS Ticonderoga, fourth to bear the name, was a long-hull Essex-class fleet aircraft carrier. “The Big T” served from 1944 to 1973, earning 17 Battle Stars for service during World War II and the Vietnam War. The carrier also received three awards of the Navy Unit Commendation and the Meritorious Unit Commendation. Lead ship of a class of modified 27,100-ton Essex class aircraft carriers, it was built at Newport News, Virginia. She was commissioned in May 1944 and made a West Indies shakedown cruise prior to transiting the Panama Canal to the Pacific in early September. During the next few months, the USS Ticonderoga transported aircraft to Hawaii, took part in underway ordnance replenishment experiments and trained her crew and air group for
participation in the war against Japan. After steaming to the western Pacific in October, the carrier launched her first strikes on 5 November 1944, hitting targets ashore and afloat in the northern Philippines area. As part of Task Force 38, she continued her attacks in the vicinity for the next two months, riding out a major typhoon in mid-December.
In January 1945, the USS Ticonderoga took part in raids against Japanese assets in Indochina, China, Luzon and Formosa. Hit by two “Kamikaze” suicide planes on 21 January, she lost over 140 crewmen and had to go to the U.S. for repairs. The USS Ticonderoga returned to the combat area in late May. For the remaining two and a half months of the Pacific War, her planes made regular attacks on the Japanese home islands. From September 1945 into January 1946, she transported veterans home across the Pacific. Inactive after that, Ticonderoga was decommissioned at the Puget Sound Navy Yard in January 1947.
Five years later, the USS Ticonderoga was temporarily reactivated and sent to the New York Naval Shipyard to receive an extensive SCB-27C modernization. Redesignated CVA-14, she recommissioned in September 1954 and served with the Atlantic Fleet for two years, making one Mediterranean deployment in 1955-56. More modifications followed in 1956-57, providing an angled flight deck and enclosed bow to fully suit her to operate high-performance jet aircraft. She then returned to the west coast, her home for the rest of her career.
The USS Ticonderoga was deployed ten times to the western Pacific in 1957-69. In August 1964, during her sixth WestPac cruise, her planes participated in air strikes against North Vietnamese targets during the “Tonkin Gulf Incident” that gradually led to massive U.S. involvement in Southeast Asian combat operations. Vietnam War missions dominated the USS Ticonderoga‘s next four Seventh Fleet deployments. In October 1969, she was redesignated CVS-14 and converted to an antisubmarine warfare support carrier. The ship made two more cruises to Asian waters in that capacity. In 1972, she took part in space flight recovery efforts for the Apollo 16 and 17 Moon flights. Decommissioned in September 1973, the USS Ticonderoga was sold for scrapping a year later.
Ship Statistics: Type: Essex class Air Craft Carrier
Displacement: 27,100 Tonnes Length: 271 Meters Beam: 28 Meters Draft: 8.71 Meters Speed: 33 Knots Crew: 3,448
Armament: 4x twin 5-inch 38 caliber guns
4x single 5-inch 38 caliber guns 8x quadruple Bofors 40mm guns
46x single Oerlikon 20mm cannons
| USS TICONDEROGA DDG-47/CG-47 (1983-2004)
The fifth USS Ticonderoga was the lead ship of the Ticonderoga Class Cruisers that served the US Navy. Built by Ingalis Shipbuilding and commissioned on January 22, 1983 the USS Ticonderoga was the first warship equipped with the AEGIS combat system. She was under command of ten different commanding officers during her service lifetime. The first and second cruises were in the Mediterranean Sea alongside the USS New Jersey and served as lead ship across the “Line of Death” and acted as the on-scene air-warfare commander during the exercise in the Gulf of Sidra.
The USS Ticonderoga also participated in Operation Earnest Will in the Persian Gulf during the Iran-Iraq War. As a member of the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Battle Group the USS Ticonderoga participated in Operation Desert Shield and later participated in Operation Southern Watch, the enforcement of the no-fly zone over Iraq. Her last mission in the Mediterranean included participation in Operation Deny Flight over Bosnia.
In June of 1996, the USS Ticonderoga shifted homeports from Norfolk, Virginia, to Pascagoula, Mississippi as part of Western Hemisphere Group. The USS Ticonderoga’s focus changed from United States Navy battle group operations to independent steaming and working with South American Navies during counter-narcotics operations. It is believed that this was a cover for the Ticonderoga’s participation in the South American theater of the Eugenics War. Unfortunately most records for this conflict were lost in Earth’s rebuilding efforts.
In April of 1999, the USS Ticonderoga commenced a smart ship installation designed to replace analog control systems with new digital systems. USS Ticonderoga was the first production Smart Ship cruiser fielded in the summer of 2000, undergoing the upgrade at Naval Station Pascagoula. After fourteen long months of installations and ship alterations, USS Ticonderoga completed sea trials. The crew next prepared for various readiness and operational inspections. Light Off Assessment (LOA) was conducted in late May prior to sea trials and Engineering Department put in numerous off-duty hours preparing the ship’s engineering spaces. Sea trials with the new smart ship program went smoothly on June 1st and 2nd without any major problems.
After September 11, 2001, the USS Ticonderoga was the first ship out of Pascagoula to participate in Operation Noble Eagle as the South-East Sector Air Defense Group Commander. From March to August 2004 the USS Ticonderoga completed her final deployment, one of the most successful counter-narcotics operations on record. Her efforts led directly to narcotics interdictions totaling 14,406 pounds of cocaine, four Go-Fast smuggling vessels, one smuggling fishing vessel, 25 prisoners and 5 Logistic Support Vessels. In addition, the USS Ticonderoga worked in conjunction with Costa Rican and Colombian Navies to interdict two additional Go-Fast vessels.Ship Statistics: Type: Ticonderoga class Cruiser
Displacement: 9,750 Tonnes Length: 173 Meters Beam: 16.8 Meters Draft: 10.2 Meters Speed: 32.5 Knots Crew: 387
Armament: 2x Mk 26 Missile Launchers
88x RIM-66 SM-2 Surface to Air Missiles
8x RGM-84 Harpoon Missiles
2x Mark 45.5 in/54 cal lightweight gun
2-4x .50 cal gun
2x Phalanx Close In Weapon System
2x Mk 32 12.75 in triple torpedo tubes
| USS TICONDEROGA LCS-7 (2017-2028)
The sixth USS Ticonderoga was built at the Austal USA shipyards in Mobile, Alabama. Launched on January 23, 2017 she served in the United States Navy as a Littoral Combat Ship. A lot of the mission information was lost for this vessel. It is believed that the bulk of the Ticonderoga missions were part of classified special operations.
It is known that when World War III started in 2026 the USS Ticonderoga participated in Operation Bedlam as part of task force UNITY. The Ticonderoga launched several US and Australian special ops teams in an effort to re-take the Panama Canal that had been seized by ECON Forces.
The final mission of the USS Ticonderoga took place in 2028 under the command of Captain Kevin Ward. An ECON strike force attempted to disrupt the launch of the Ares I at Cape Canaveral, Florida. Heavily damaged the Ticonderoga rammed the ECON missile cruiser Noonien Singh as it was targeting the spacecraft. The resulting explosion gave the Ares I plenty of time to complete the launch countdown. Captain Ward and the crew were awarded posthumous medals for their bravery.
Ship Statistics: Type: Independence Class Littoral Combat Ship
Displacement: 2,784 Tonnes Length: 127.4 Meters Beam: 31.6 Meters Draft: 3.96 Meters Speed: 44 Knots Crew: 40 Crew, 35 Special Mission Crew
Armament: 1x MX 110 57mm gun
4x .50-cal guns (2 forward, 2 aft)
1x Raytheon SeaRAM CIWS
Honeywell MK50 Torpedo
2x SH-60 Seahawk helicopters
1x MA-8 Fire Scout
Note: While the Independence class is real, we have taken the liberty to ‘document’ the next USS Ticonderoga and it’s history to be part of this class.
| USS TICONDEROGA ACP-4 (2036-2050)
Valiant Class Aerial Combat Platform was developed by the US and British research firm, The Davies Group. Harold Saxon was the lead designer. Several vessels of this class served in the US and Royal British navies. The rapid military development of hover technology in the HMS Valiant, USS Midway and the HMS Sherwood eventually led to the advancement of hovercar use by the general public.
The Valiant Class USS Ticonderoga was the seventh vessel to carry the name. Launched in 2036 from the San Fransisco Shipyards under command of Captain Jen Wullschleger. Her first voyage was to lead the US Forces in the retaking the City of Juneau from ECON troops. The ground forces did not expect such a large salvo of combat craft heading from the north. The stealth capabilities of the Ticonderoga allowed her to launch her compliment of aircraft nearby.
In 2043 the Ticonderoga led the Arrakis Joint Strike Task Force in the hunt for Colonel Green’s Pacific Base believed to be hidden near Hong Kong. After being driven out from the North American continent Green had hidden himself among allies in Asia. The task force found the base and destroyed it, but Colonel Green had escaped farther into the Asian continent.
Even with the war going on regular relief efforts were a mission of the USS Ticonderoga. In 2047 the Ticonderoga participated in disaster relief efforts when the Hermosa Earthquake sinks the city of Los Angeles under 200 meters of water.
Continuing the hunt for Colonel Green, the Ticonderoga lead the assault on the port of Dantooine along the African coast in 2050. The base was completely destroyed crippling the ECON Atlantic Operations and their space command (ECON satellites had been devastating western cities for years). This was also considered the blow that started the march towards the end of the long war. However in the assault the Ticonderoga took heavy damage and crashed into the Atlantic Ocean.
Ship Statistics: Type: Valiant Class Aerial Combat Platform
Displacement: 2,784 Tonnes Length: 302 Meters Beam: 120 Meters Height: 75 Meters Cruising Speed: Mach 0.33
Crew: 3,470 Crew
Armament: 27x MX 171 120mm guns
12x Hercules Missile Tubes
20x AH-80 Airwolf helicopters
150 -250x Fighters
Note: The Valiant was borrowed from the popular Doctor Who British SF series. We have scaled it down immensely and named it after one of our many USS Ticonderoga ancestors.
| TICONDEROGA (2047-2074)
The Jupiter Mining Corporation commissioned the Firefly class mid-bulk transport, Ticonderoga, to be a member of their interstellar merchant fleet. Built by Allied Spacecraft at the L-5 construction site and launched in 2047.
Under command of Pilot Ford Prefect the Ticonderoga was original scheduled for the Christopher Run to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. Prefect was the first pilot to perform the Titan’s Turn maneuver.
In 2069 the engines were upgraded from fusion to warp capable expanding the range of the Ticonderoga to outside the Sol system. However even with these upgrades the majority of the cargo runs were in system or to the Alpha Centauri system.
In 2074 the Earth Cargo Service bought out the Jupiter Mining Corporation under the Earth Cargo Authority and issued orders to retire the remaining Firefly class vessels in service. This was to pave the way for the new J-Class cargo vessels that had a greater speed at Warp 1.2. The Ticonderoga was one of many such vessels that were scrapped.
Ship Statistics: Type: Firefly Class mid-bulk transport
Displacement: 392 Tonnes Length: 115.2 Meters Beam: 62.17 Meters Height: 28 Meters Cruising Speed: Warp 1 (after upgrade)
Crew: 15 Crew
Cargo Capacity: 147 Tonnes
Note: Browncoats should recognize this class of ship.
| USS TICONDEROGA BC-314 (2066-2093)
Built at the Armstrong Shipyards over Luna by the Weyland-Yutani Corporation, the eighth USS Ticonderoga was built in response to the Kzinti and Nausicaan threats to Earth shipping interests. This space vessel Ticonderoga was a Daedalus class Deep Space Carrier.
In 2069 the USS Ticonderoga defended Earth from the Kzinti invasion during the Earth-Kzin Wars. The Ticonderoga was the lead vessel for Section 5 in The Battle of the Line. Despite heavy damage from Kzin thermal-lasers, the Ticonderoga and her A-10 Class starfighters were able to turn back the Red Claw attack force in orbit around Mars. When Admiral Bruno Lawrie demanded the surrender from Force Leader Thrux, the Kzinti responded by committing ritual suicide. This kept one of the primary invasion forces out of the inner system and was one of the first victories for a very young United Earth Starfleet.
After the Earth-Kzin Wars the USS Ticonderoga primarily patrolled between Earth and Alpha Centauri as part of pirate suppression. The Ticonderoga was responsible for the rescue of the crew and passengers on the space liner Red Dwarf when the hull was slowly being eaten away by a strange metal-devouring virus. Once the rescue was completed the Ticonderoga destroyed the vessel to prevent the spread of the virus.
With the introduction of the new Starships style of vessel. The new Bonaventure class starships were vastly superior to the Ticonderoga and other Daedalus class vessels. With her days numbered, the Ticonderoga’s final years were spent in Homefleet as part of the Sol Defense Project. She was decommissioned in 2093.Ship Statistics: Type: Daedalus class Deep Space Carrier
Length: 225 Meters Beam: 95 Meters Height: 75 Meters Cruising Speed: Warp 1.5 Emergency Speed: Warp 1.8
Crew: 200 Crew
Armament: 4x Asgard plasma beam weapons
16x VLS Missile Tubes
50x A-10 Class Starfighters
Note: The use of the Daedalus was our tip-of-the-hat to the Stargate franchise. We also thought it made a logical fit between the first military space vessels to the upcoming Starships.
| TICONDEROGA (2139-2154)
The Ticonderoga was an Earth freighter commissioned by the Earth Cargo Authority in 2139. She was built by Allied Spacecraft in orbit over Mars. The Ticonderoga made several runs between Earth, Vulcan, Trillius Prime, the Teneebian moons and Denobula Triax. Commanded by Captain Alan Bradley the Ticonderoga was primarily crewed by the Bradley family.
In 2154 it was destroyed by a Romulan drone-ship six hours away from Andoria. The NX-01 Enterprise had discovered the wreckage of hull fragments, nacelle casings and several human bodies.Ship Statistics:
Type: Y-Class Freighter
Speed: Warp 1.8 (Upgraded to Warp 3)
Cargo Capacity: 20 kilotons
1x Low yield plasma cannon
Source: Enterprise episode “The Aenar“
Note: The ship was never seen on the show. We believe this to be a Y-Class freighter.
| USS TICONDEROGA NCC-187 (2156-2196)
Built in the heart of the Earth/Romulan War, the ninth USS Ticonderoga was assembled at the Lond Daer Shipyards in 2156. The Daedalus class starship had several new features including the metal/ceramic hull alloys that provided greater strength for less weight. Another feature on the Ticonderoga was PB-15A Circumferential Warp Drive Nacelle Units. A first for the Ticonderoga was the compliment of Andorian Imperial Guard exchange officers in an effort to show unity during the war.
In 2160 the USS Ticonderoga arrived at the Cheron system with the USS Independence, the Andorian Cruiser Ushaan-Tor and the Tellerite Frigates Baak and Treecha as part of Task Force Gumby. The calculated gamble by Admiral Malone paid off and the task force arrived in time to cut of the Roumulan forces from escaping the battle with Earth and Vulcan forces. This crushing defeat ended the Romulan threat and brought about the end of the war. The memory of this defeat remained in the minds of Romulans for years to come.
The Ticonderoga was transfered from Earth Starfleet to United Federation of Planets Starfleet in 2161 with the signing of the Federation Charter. With the successful integration of the Andorian crews prior to this date it was no surprise that Andorian Commodore T’allt was named Commanding Officer of the USS Ticonderoga. The Ticonderoga engaged Tarn forces in 2165 the Cats Eye nebula destroying three cruisers. This forced the withdraw of Tarn forces from the Adams sector.
The USS Ticonderoga was retired in 2196 and was scheduled to be scrapped at the Utopia Planitia shipyards when a coalition of Human and Andorian officers petitioned that the Ticonderoga be kept as a museum piece. The drive was successful and the USS Ticonderoga was placed in orbit at the Fleet Museum over Luna. She is the only Daedalus class starship that was not lost in action or scrapped.Ship Statistics: Type: Daedalus class Cruiser
Displacement: 77,640 Tonnes Length: 192.04 Meters Beam: 86.88 Meters Height: 62.5 Meters Speed: Warp 5.0 (cruising) Warp 5.9 (maximum)
Armament: 12x phaser cannons (after upgrade from lasers)
2x FAC-2 accelerator cannons
Source: The USS Ticonderoga as a member of this class and museum piece was mentioned in a Daedalus Class article by Don W Shanks in an issue of the Galactic Engineers Concordance Logbook Volume 4 Number 3, May-June 1993.
| USS TICONDEROGA NCC-1211 (2205-2225)
The Lancaster class cruiser USS Ticonderoga was one of the first “modern” starships (ships that had all of the primary facilities in the same general positions) built by Starfleet in 2205. Designed by the Shimata-Dominquez Corporation of Manila, Earth, the Ticonderoga and other Lancaster class starships included new ideas such as having the bridge on top of the saucer section, an impulse deck housing the Tokomak reactor and deuterium stored in dual storage tanks held on both sides of the reactor . In the secondary hull, innovations included a fully ejectable warp core and antimatter pods, which were separated, along with a large ventral hull plate. There were also extremely large shuttle bays, which contained two wings of fighter attack squadrons and twelve heavy landing craft capable of delivering up to 120 power-suited marines. The Lancaster class starships had a reputation as fighting ships and the USS Ticonderoga was no exception. The “Big-T” earned several commendations for protecting various Federation colonies and space lanes from Kzinti renegades, Orion pirates, Nausicaan raiders, Tarn forces and more. The only “quiet” tour that the USS Ticonderoga participated in was patrolling the Romulan Neutral Zone between 2217 and 2219.
The final voyage of the USS Ticonderoga came in 2225 when she answered a distress call from the Artistic Federation Colony, Graham VII. The colony was under attack from three Klingon D-5 class cruisers that believed they were attacking a hidden Starfleet outpost. The USS Ticonderoga destroyed one D-5 and seriously damaged a second vessel when the arrival of the USS Thorn and USS Kitty Hawk encouraged the remaining D-5s to withdraw. This sudden defeat of the new D-5 class cruisers may have lead to the succession struggle for the Klingon chancellorship in 2226. Unfortunately the USS Ticonderoga was too badly damaged in the battle and was scrapped soon afterwards. The USS Ticonderoga had earned six battle stars during her lifetime.Ship Statistics: Type: Lancaster class Cruiser
Displacement: 145,020 Tonnes Length: 227.26 Meters Beam: 100.36 Meters Height: 52.75 Meters Speed: Warp 5.2 (cruising) Warp 6.8 (maximum)
Crew: 310 (plus 120 marines)
Armament: 8x phaser turrets
2x laser cannons
24x “Trilobite” missiles with fusion warheads Source: The Lancaster class information was used with permission from Masao Okazaki and The Starfleet Museum. Art used with permission by Thomas Pemberton.
| USS TICONDEROGA NCC-1736 (2260-2278)
Built at the Stonehenge shipyards over Tennant Prime, the Constitution class USS Ticonderoga served Starfleet for 18 years. The USS Ticonderoga was the second Constitution class starship built to Mark III specifications with the FIE-3 impulse engines, greater shield strength and use of the FP-5 photon torpedo system. This was the last model built in the “classic Connie” configuration.
In 2264 under command of Captain James McCay the USS Ticonderoga participated in the mass evacuation of the Kivak homeworld alongside the USS Washington, USS Singapore, USS Unita County and the civilian passenger liner, Starlight Dancer. Over 13 million Kivakians were evacuated before their world was destroyed by a cosmic string.
Following the successful upgrade of the USS Enterprise to the new Enterprise Class version of the Constitution Class Cruiser, Starfleet proceeded to upgrade other “classic Connie” vessels. In 2278 the USS Ticonderoga arrived at the Salazaar shipyards for a two-year upgrade to Enterprise specifications. Two months into the refit process the shipyards was hit with a massive class-nine ion storm. Spacedock 12, containing the USS Ticonderoga, experienced shield failure and both the dock and the ship were destroyed in the storm.Ship Statistics: Type: Constitution class Cruiser
Displacement: 167,900 Tonnes Length: 295 Meters Beam: 127 Meters Height: 73 Meters Speed: Warp 6 (cruising) Warp 8 (maximum)
Armament: 8x phaser turrets
2x photon torpedo tubes Source: Federation Starship Recognition Manual (2nd Edition) published by FASA ISBN 0931787424
|USS TICONDEROGA NX-8000/NCC-8000 (2285-2290)
The lead ship of a new class of light cruisers, the USS Ticonderoga was the last testbed created before the Excelsior style of starships came into use. Designed by the engineering team of Burke and Kemper it was built at the Salazaar shipyards and was given a high NX registry number in expectation of future use. The USS Ticonderoga was built using the experimental up and down warp nacelles as opposed to the conventional side to side method of dual engines. Great study and design experimentation has gone into this alignment, with a number of new theories in warp engineering occurring as well. Starfleet intended to use this class for various tasks including long range escort for important convoys and pirate suppression.
Unfortunately in an era of budget cuts and the upcoming expectations of the “Great Experiment” the Ticonderoga project was canceled after the trials of the USS Ticonderoga had began. The design was not a failure in the eyes of Starfleet, the design board simply decided that they wanted to take the fleet in a new direction. The USS Ticonderoga’s registry was updated to NCC-8000 for active service and it’s tour of duty primarily consisted of escort duty within the central areas of the Federation. After serving for five years the USS Ticonderoga was mothballed at the Surplus Depot C-88. There it remained for seventeen years until it was scrapped.Ship Statistics: Type: Ticonderoga class Light Cruiser
Displacement: 150,000 Tonnes Length: 243 Meters Beam: 130 Meters Height: 69 Meters Speed: Warp 8 (cruising) Warp 10 (maximum)
Armament: 10x phaser turrets
1x photon torpedo tube Source: Stardate Magazine, December 1985
|USS TICONDEROGA II NCC-2034 (2292-2323)
With the wave of Excelsior class starships being built for Starfleet, it was only a matter of time before one of them was selected as the USS Ticonderoga. However what was not expected was the review board accepting the name of USS Ticonderoga II as one of these vessels. Some speculated this was to avoid any confusion with the Ticonderoga Class USS Ticonderoga that was still in mothballs.
The USS Ticonderoga II took the new Starfleet spirit of exploration to the maximum and helped map out the Detha, Rawlin and Ho’to sectors. During this time the USS Ticonderoga II made contact with fourteen different civilizations including three that eventually joined the Federation.
The final mission of the USS Ticonderoga II was with Task Force A10 which was hunting down renegade Klingons from the Imperial Klingon States that were making pirate attacks on merchant shipping. Fifteen vessels from the IKS (the bulk of their fleet) ambushed the task force in the Liro system with only the USS Luna escaping. The USS Ticonderoga II and the rest of Task Force A10 was destroyed in the battle. The embarrassment caused to the Klingon Empire and the Klingon Defense Force over this dishonor finally spurred them into action. Over the next two years Starfleet and the KDF hunted down the last of the IKS vessels remaining in service.Ship Statistics: Type: Excelsior Class Battleship
Displacement: 239,645 Tonnes Length: 467 Meters Beam: 186 Meters Height: 78 Meters Speed: Warp 12 (cruising) Warp 14 (maximum) Note: older warp scale listed
Armament: 12x phaser turrets
6x photon torpedo tubes Source: Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer’s Manual published by FASA ISBN 1-55560-079-4
One thought on “Namesake History”
Comments are closed.